Doug is available for teaching and speaking on a range of topics concerning Christian theology, apologetics, philosophy of religion, catechetical ministry, and media. He has spoken coast to coast and always receives great feedback. If you are interested in having Doug speak, please visit Catholic Answers Speakers.
Douglas Beaumont earned a Ph.D. in theology from North-West University and an M.A. in apologetics from Southern Evangelical Seminary, where he taught for several years before coming into full communion with the Catholic Church. He has since appeared on The Journey Home and Catholic Answers Live, and has been interviewed by The National Catholic Register, EWTN, Relevant Radio, and The Patrick Coffin Show. He is the author of With One Accord, Evangelical Exodus and The Message Behind the Movie, has contributed to Mind, Heart, and Soul: Intellectuals and the Path to Rome, Bumper Sticker Catholicism, The Best Catholic Writing, and The Apologetics Study Bible for Students, and has written for Catholic Answers Magazine, Strange Notions, The National Catholic Register, and Catholic World Report. He can be found online at douglasbeaumont.com.
The Message Behind the Movie: Engaging Film without Disengaging Faith
Based on his book of the same title (revised edition – Ignatius), Doug walks listeners through the basics of script structure in order to show how to accurately and objectively understand a movie’s message and then respond to relevant themes from a Christian perspective.
Catholicism and Protestantism
Evangelical Exodus: Why I Became Catholic
Based on Doug’s book Evangelical Exodus: Evangelical Seminarians and Their Paths to Rome (Ignatius), here he explains the primary motivations that led he and others out of the Evangelical world and into the Catholic Church.
Proven Catholic: Proving Catholicism from the Ground Up
Doug shows that there are really only a few issues that must be settled to prove that Catholicism is true. Fortunately, these have strong philosophical, scientific, historical, and theological support.
Religious Conversion: Your Place in the Process
Religious conversion (and de-conversion) is not a uniform, linear process – it is made up of discrete stages that can look very different (and are often confused). Here, Doug explains the process of conversion and what you can do at each stage.
Firm Foundations: Explaining Catholic Conclusions with Protestant Principles
Based on Doug’s upcoming book from Catholic Answers, Doug shows how Catholic beliefs can often be understood better by Protestants when the principles behind them are revealed to be those already held by many Protestants (whether they know it or not).
Faith Formation / Religious Education
Staying the Course: Remaining Catholic After Confirmation
Confirmation is often known as the “Sacrament of Graduation” because so many teens leave the Church after its reception. Based on cutting edge research, Doug presents solutions to this crisis.
Mass Effect: The Importance of Attending Mass as a Family
Attending mass with the whole family is often a challenge – but research shows that it is a key factor in faith retention among modern generations. Doug explains why in this talk geared toward Confirmation parental retreats.
Catechism from Day One: Getting a Parish Catechetical program Off the Ground
Doug explains methods for launching a new parish catechetical or religious education program based on his successes (and some failures) as Director of Religious Studies for a large parish in California.
Family Faith Formation: Equipping Your Primary Catechists (the Parents!)
As more and more young people leave their faith behind, a re-focusing of catechetical energy seems in order. In this talk, Doug discusses the research behind disaffiliation and how a parental catechetical program can help reverse the trend.
Answering Relativism: Are Conflicting Views Equally True?
Doug explains how a denial of universal truth actually affirms universal truth, and how relativism can be successfully disproven by simply applying it to itself.
Answering Skepticism: What is Truth?
Pilate famously asked, “What is truth?” (Jn. 18:38) In this talk, Doug goes through various views of truth and shows how only one can truly claim the title.
Answering Indifferentism: Can All Faiths Save?
Confusion over the Church’s view of other faiths has been common since the documents of Vatican 2 and the Catechism became publicly widespread. Here Doug explains the Church’s view of salvation possibilities for those outside the Catholic Church.
Answering Atheism 1: Does God Exist? (Understanding Arguments for God)
The Church teaches as dogma that God’s existence can be known apart from divine revelation. How can this be so? In this talk, Doug gives several historically important arguments that God exists.
Answering Atheism 2: Can God Exist? (Responding to Arguments Against God)
Based on his doctoral dissertation, Doug discusses the most difficult philosophical arguments against God’s existence, how they have been (unsuccessfully) answered in the past, and how best to deal with them today.
Answering Atheism 3: The Problem of Evil
Thomas Aquinas listed the Problem of Evil as the most difficult of questions regarding the existence of an all-powerful, all-good God. How should Catholics approach the issue? Doug gives his take on this thorny problem.
Answering Non-Christians 1: Is Christianity Inspired?
With so many religions claiming to hold the truth, how could anyone possibly investigate them all in order to arrive at the best possibility? In this talk, Doug argues that there is only one way – and only one religion really fits the bill.
Answering Non-Christians 2: Historical Proof for Jesus’ Resurrection
Miracles are God’s means for verifying His messages – and the greatest of them all is the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. But is this event a mere object of faith – or can it be proven historically? Here, Doug explains the scholarly consensus on this issue.
Answering Protestantism 1: Responding to Sola Fide (Faith Alone)
The battle cry of the Reformation was “Faith alone!” over against the Catholic teaching that justification is not by faith alone. Although quoting James 2:24 is a good start, Protestants must be answered with more finesse, and Doug goes into the details here.
Answering Protestantism 2: Responding to Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone)
Protestants often claim that their faith is based on the Bible alone and that Catholics must add the “traditions of men” to Scripture in order to support the Church’s teachings. Doug shows here that if Church tradition is really a problem, then Protestants have an even more difficult version of the same problem.
Answering Non-Catholic Christians 1: Was There a Great Apostasy?
Behind every non-Catholic claim to be “true Christianity” is some kind of apostasy narrative – a tale of how the original Church slid into error only to be rescued / reformed / restored centuries later. Is this claim historically accurate? Doug explains the answer here.
Answering Non-Catholic Christians 2: Infant Baptism
If the Bible has no examples of infant baptism, why does the Catholic Church (and Orthodox, and many Protestant denominations) practice it? Here, Doug explains the biblical, traditional, and theological evidence for baptizing babies.
Answering Non-Catholic Christians 3: Jesus’ Real Presence in the Eucharist
The nature of Communion is a hotly disputed subject among Christians. In this talk, Doug explains the Church’s view and how it is rooted in Scripture, history, and philosophy.
Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses – Is the Watchtower a True Prophet?
How should Catholics respond when the most aggressive anti-Catholic cults in America knocks on their door? Attempting to beat them at their own game is rarely successful, and they’ve been trained to deal with numerous objections. In this talk, Doug explains how to show Jehovah’s Witnesses the falsehood of their prophetic authority using their own materials.
Answering Mormons – Was Joseph Smith Jr. a True Prophet?
Mormon missionaries are trained in special schools to argue for their belief in their prophet Joseph Smith Jr. and against the false “Christendom” represented by the Catholic Church. Given their numerous scriptural texts and bizarre array of ever-changing teachings, how can a Catholic respond? Here, Doug shows how to narrow in on the most important issues and cut through Mormon rhetoric.
Faith and Reason
Must Catholics check their brains at the door when entering the Church? NO WAY! In this talk, Doug discusses the true nature of faith and reason, showing that one can be a faithful and reasonable person at the same time as being a committed Catholic.
Sin and Salvation
What is sin and how are we saved from it? Catholics do not always have as easy a time articulating the Church’s answer as their Evangelical counterparts, but the gospel message is the most important one we can share! Here, Doug walks through the gospel message as taught by the Church.
The Trinity (and Heresies)
How can God be one and three at the same time? Isn’t this irrational? In this talk, Doug goes over the correct understanding of the trinity and compares it to popular mistakes that could land one in the realm of heresy.
The Incarnation (and Heresies)
How can Jesus be both God and man? Isn’t this irrational? In this talk, Doug goes over the correct understanding of Jesus’s incarnation and exposes numerous mistaken ideas of it that have ended up being labelled as heretical.
Speaking of God: Limited Language for an Unlimited God
How can our words, designed to communicate limited reality, also speak accurately of an unlimited God? Here, Doug goes into the philosophical tradition based on Thomas Aquinas known as analogy to explain how finite wo4rds can speak of an infinite God..
Catholic Morality: From the Cradle to the Grave
Catholic morality is based on far more than just a list of rules – and understanding all of its sources is a big part of trusting it as a guide. In this talk, Doug goes into the sources of Catholic moral theology and shows that much of it is universally available to even non-Christians.
What is the Bible All About?
Doug presents an overview of the Bible from its creation to its contents.
How Not to Study Your Bible
Using common mistakes as highlights, Doug teaches good principles of Bible study.
Daniel: Prophecy and History
The book of Daniel is a treasure trove of prophecy that is at the same time often difficult to understand. In this talk, Doug goes through the visions and dreams, linking them together into a coherent prophetic history.
NT History 1: The Life of Jesus Christ
Doug presents Jesus’ life and ministry in a chronological fashion that harmonizes the gospel accounts in a manner that helps us to better understand Jesus’ teachings.
NT History 2: The Life of St. Paul
Doug presents St. Paul’s life and ministry in a chronological fashion that harmonizes he book of Acts, the Epistles, and Christian history in a way that sheds light on St. Paul’s teachings.
Revelation: Many Views of One Story
Will the world end soon? Is there going to be a “rapture”? So much confusion surrounds the teachings of the “End Times” that it is difficult to believe there is a way through it. In answer to this problem, Doug goes through the various options and presents a uniquely Catholic view that you won’t hear on Christian TV or popular end time novels.
Presentations and Interviews
- 2021 St. John Bosco Conference (Franciscan U.) – “How Apologetics Can Serve Parish Catechesis” &” Moving a Parish from a School Catechesis Model to Family Faith Formation”
- 2020 Hands on Apologetics – Was Jesus a False Prophet?
- 2020 The Cordial Catholic – Why We’re No Longer Protestant (w/ Devin Rose)
- 2020 Hands on Apologetics – Understanding Apologetics
- 2019 Hands On Apologetics – Deification: Can Man Become God?
- 2019 Classical Theism Podcast – The Eucharist
- 2019 Hands on Apologetics – Changing Worldviews
- 2019 The Cordial Catholic Podcast – Proofs for Catholicism
- 2019 Classical Theism Podcast – The Great Apostasy
- 2019 Sacramento Apologetics Boot Camp – Ethics
- 2019 Stockton Ministry Day – Catholic after Confirmation, Attending Mass as Family
- 2019 Cordial Catholic – Understanding Paradigm Shifts: The Key to Evangelization
- 2019 Driving Home the Faith – Catechetical Ministry
- 2019 Hands On Apologetics – Sola Fide
- 2019 Catholic Answers Live! – Works and Salvation
- 2019 Hands On Apologetics” with Gary Michuta – Sola Scriptura
- 2019 Classical Theism – Answering Apostasy Theories
- 2018 “True Faith Real Talk” with John Sablan – Conversion, Religious Landscape
- 2018 Stockton Ministry Day – Effective Protestant Dialogue and The Message Behind the Movie
- 2018 Patrick Coffin Show – How to Watch A Movie
- 2018 “Kresta in the Afternoon” on Ave Maria Radio – Catholic Conversion
- 2018 “Hands On Apologetics” with Gary Michuta – Evangelical Exodus and Conversion
- 2017 / 2018 Sacramento Apologetics Boot Camp – Logic
- 2017 Catholic Answers Live! – Sola Fide and Sola Scriptura
- 2017 “I Thought You’d Like to Know” with Bob Olson – Evangelical Exodus
- 2017 “Outside the Walls” with Timothy Putnam – Evangelical Exodus
- 2017 “Kresta in the Afternoon” on Ave Maria Radio – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 Catholic Professional and Business Club of Modesto – Conversion and Education
- 2016 The Journey Home TV show with Marcus Grodi – My Conversion to Catholicism
- 2016 Mater Dei Radio interview with Dina Marie Hale – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 “Jon Leonetti in the Morning” Iowa Catholic Radio – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 National Catholic Register interview with Kathy Schiffer – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 “Seize the Day w/Gus Lloyd” – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 Catholic Answers: “Focus” – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 Spirit Catholic Radio: “Spirit Morning” – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 Relevant Radio: “On Call with Wendy Wiese” – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 Radio Maria: “Meet the Author” – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 Redeemer Radio: “Redeemer Mornings” – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 Redeemer Radio: “Faithworks” – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 The Son Rise Morning Show – Evangelical Exodus
- 2016 Mercy Unwrapped with Kristine Franklin – Catholic Conversion
- 2015 Evangelical Philosophical Society National Conference – Christian Businesspeople, Gay Weddings, and the Ethics of Cooperation in Wrongdoing
- 2015 Theology Matters – Purgatory
- 2015 Ratio Christi UNC Chapel Hill – Natural Law and Sexual Ethics
- 2015 Ratio Christi UNCG – God Talk
- 2014 Theology Matters – Justification
- 2014 Seize the Day w/Gus Lloyd – Why This Evangelical Professor is Considering Rome
- 2012 National Conference on Christian Apologetics – Christianity Without the Bible: Apologetics for the New Atheism
- 2011 National Conference on Christian Apologetics: The Message Behind the Movie
- 2009 NC Regional Christian Apologetics Conference: The Message Behind the Movie
- 2009 Ready for Answers Apologetics Conference: The Message Behind the Movie
- 2009 California Christian Apologetics Conference: The Message Behind the Movie & Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses Using Their Own Bible
- 2009 National Apologetics Conference – The Message Behind the Movie
- 2008 National Conference on Spiritual Discernment: The Message Behind the Music
- 2008 California Christian Apologetics Conference: Analogical God Talk & How NOT to Study Your Bible
- 2008 National Conference on Christian Apologetics: Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses Using Their Own Bible
- 2007 Spiritual Counterfeits Conference: The Impossibility of the Mormon God
- 2007 California Christian Apologetics Conference: Eschatological Apologetics, & Secular Music and the Christian
- 2006 Spiritual Counterfeits Conference: Seventh-day Adventism – Cultists or Christians?
- 2006 California Christian Apologetics Conference: Hollywood Discernment & Tactical Evangelism
- 2005 National Apologetics Conference: Discerning Music’s Message (aka The Message Behind the Music)
- 2004 Evangelical Theological Society – Paper: “The Hermeneutics of Eschatology: Preterism and Dispensationalism Compared”
- 2004 National Apologetics Conference: Hollywood Apologetics (aka The Message Behind the Movie)